Losing your home to a fire is a scary thought, but there are plenty of things you can do to stop a fire before it starts and keep your home and family safe. No one Would doubt the fact that the incident of fire outbreaks in most homes occur as a result of carelessness. There are also some innocuous looking things in our household that we pay less attention to, yet they pose more danger to our personal safety than we actually realize. You have to be vigilant.
Always dust your home appliances
Dust are fine particles that can easily clog around any little space, they can prevent ventilation from reaching the inner environment of the electric appliances.
Check your tumble dryer for lint.
Lints are the visible accumulation of textile fibers and other materials, usually found on and around clothing. Lint can accumulate around the air vent of home dryers, preventing heat from diffusing out of the dryer into the environment. When this happens the dryer becomes too hot that it can easily burst into flames.
Inspect heating sources.
Regardless of what kind of primary heating you have in your home, an annual inspection will reduce your risk of fire.
Change furnace filters regularly to avoid a buildup of dust and lint that can easily catch fire. If you use space heaters, carefully inspect them before and after each use, and place them at least three feet away from anything combustible, such as fabric or paper. Check water heaters as well, especially those that run off gas and have a pilot light. Make sure nothing is close to the heating element.
Keep the stove and oven clear.
Kitchens are the most common places for house fires. To prevent kitchen fires, don’t leave anything flammable near the stove or oven. Make sure curtains don’t hang over the stove, and never rest towels or a cookbook on the stove top. Keep oven and stove cooking surfaces clean and free of debris, especially if heating elements are exposed.
Don’t place appliances too close together.
Exothermic reactions happens to all things in the universe. All physical matters generates heats when undergoing activities -this is a principle of physics nothing can defy. Home appliances generate heat when they are in action, it is better to create enough space between them in order for the heat to diffuse effectively into the surrounding.
Don't Overload extension cords.
Extension cords are a common and convenient way to bring power to electrical devices. But used without proper caution, they can become fire hazards and pose risks to your personal safety.
Do not smoke at bed time
This is for smokers. After a late night party or stressful day, it may be tempting to have stick just before bed. With the possibility of dozing off, there is a tendency to toss the butt anywhere while it has half-lit. If that lands on the rug or mattress, the consequences can only be imagined.
Do not use phones in the kitchen
In this era of phone and social media, many people go into the kitchen with their phones. The temptations are many. For one, an incoming call may provide a distraction that may be too costly.
Do not be an emergency engineer or electrician
Avoid fixing electrical faults personally when you apparently do not have the skill. Violating the basic rule of aligning like charges can lead to a spark which may result in fire.
Get a Thunder Arrester
Thunder storm delivers a huge amount of electrical charge. The work of a Thunder Arrestor is to safely lead this current away from the building to the earth to avoid fire. Get one.
Other tips for fire safety include;
. Avoid using damaged power cords.
. Don’t leave electrical equipment unattended to when they are on.
. Never walk away when you’re cooking.
. Don’t leave candles unattended.